CosmoChix

we give good romance

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Heroes, Heroes, Heroes. . .




Okay, I'm stuck on page one of the new book proposal, thinking about all the possible cool things my hero can be. And now I'm totally confused. Tall and semi-muscular, dark hair and cool eyes. . . the basic outline for my hero doesn't usually change too much. (He looks a lot like Rupert Evert, but hetero, if that makes any sense. Although this Nathan Kamp guy pushes all the right buttons. I may have to change my romantic hero template!) But from there. . . he could be anybody. . . even the butler!

Here's where I'm stuck. I'd write a "strong silent type," but I love writing dialogue and what do I give him for dialogue? Personally I'd like a funny guy, but not everyone likes a funny or snarky hero. I'm not really good at the tortured, brooding type. . . though I have tried over the years. So what do I find sexy, I ask myself. What do I find HEROIC?

A take charge sort of a guy? Action first and sort out the bodies later? A guy estranged from his own feelings who has to learn to embrace his feminine side? A smooth talking, hot walking city dweller? A guy in a dangerous, manly profession: spy, firefighter, policeman, detective, soldier, sea captain, alligator wrestler? A guy with a checkered past and a dim future? A guy with a noble soul but a deliciously sinful exterior? A ladies' man? A guy who has no luck with chicks? A guy with the tenacity of a bulldog and the instincts of a stalking tiger? A guy with a heart of gold and a sexy, "dirty laugh"?

See my problem? There's so much to choose from in the imagination. If only real life could be so lush with possibilities!

More important. . . what kind of hero isn't out there enough? What do we long for, but don't find on the racks?

Maybe there's plenty of tall, dark and dangerous already. Or can there ever be enough of tall, dark and dangerous? Is the world ready for shorter, lighter, and cuddlier?

Good Lord, I just described my fiance. Who would probably take serious exception to the "shorter" thing. He's six feet one. But his gorgeous prematurely-silver hair is certainly lighter and he is "cuddly" in spades. And does he give great back and shoulder rubs!

8 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Valeen said...

There are always certain hereos that I love. I'm really partial to the dark, tall, brooding, dry humour tortured hero.

But a light, funny, flirty, loves his life kind of guy who's just waiting for the perfect female to come along works for me as well.

But both of those types can be take charge, smooth talking hero as well. I find each author makes her own hero - how he's written is what makes me love him. But no matter which type of hero, I have to have frequent dialogue. If not, I end up skimming all the paragraphs.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Michele said...

I think its fun to play around with hero ideas. Especially professions that no one thinks about, but with the right character representation , can bring it to light with all its potential splendor.

Quincy almost did it, the ME from CSI inspires my vote. He's in a grisly profession, but it is necessary and integral to the solving of cases. What kind of man is he? In what mental condition does he go home to? Is he purely scientific and clinical? Does he thrive on the challenge of finding even the most obscure clues in the most unlikely places on a human body? What would be his sense of humor? Warped, kinky or dry? If an ME was taken out of his element, but a medical situation occurs where he interacts with a living body, what would happen? Where would the romance come in?
How about a dead woman who is laying on his metal table, while he, against his normal stoicism, is admiring her and lamenting the loss of her perfection in the world, suddenly pops open her eyes and stares directly, with the precision of lasers, into his eyes. What would happen next? Is it a last communication to burn an obsession into him to solve her murder? A paranormal moment? A possession (either ghost or time travel?)
I don't see too many ME's being highlighted. To me, they are unsung heroes.

There must be some handsome ME's out there. We all know they are capable with their hands. Maybe we could give them a hand with romance????

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Valeen,
Dialogue is important to me too, so I'm not sure I can do the tall dark and silent type. Gotta hear the man talk. The brooding, dry humor type I can really go for, however. Also a little cynical. . . which might make a great Medical Examiner, Michele. You never cease to amaze me, Michele. What ideas you have!

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Thanks, Betina.
I have a few trapped in my head and I find its fun to share.
Hope you don't mind, I mean, you guys are the real writers.
TTFN

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Michelle Buonfiglio said...

Yeah. The menschy type doesn't do it for me in the hero dept. I just love to read whatever hero someone dreams up and never, ah say, never get tired of any of them. As long as the book's good.

I guess I really don't like the chick-lity kind of hero who's sometimes transfered to romance now. Too soft; no grit. He's got money, clothes, nice, successful, maybe even good in bed. But not larger-than-life.

I'm kinda hung up lately on this hero who's total alph ex green beret, bottled up, says dumb things around chicks, not inappropriate, just cause he's a guy. Saves the day. Decent. Just decent. A little dark, without that treating-the-heroine-crappy thing. But larger-than-life. If he ain't that, there's no reason for me to want him as the fantasy.

So glad you're diggin on Nathan Kamp, too, Betina.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger amy kennedy said...

If he's written well I will love him. But this is fiction, give me someone who, if he walked in my library I would feel the blood rush to my face--

Or give me someone who isn't handsome in the traditional way, but sexysexysexy and the more dialogue that comes out of his mouth the more I love him--

Or give me the dry wit and sarcasm that hides a tortured soul (right Valeen?)

My favorite heroes are all different--viva le difference!

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Stacy~ said...

I love contrasts. The rugged, gruff hero who has a soft spot for dogs and kids. The metrosexual who plays drums in a rock band. The English professor who rides a motorcycle.

I think heroes can be more dimensional, but he has to be smart and have respect for himself and his heroine. To have quirks or unusual differences make him more interesting. I say just have fun with him :)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Michelle Buonfiglio said...

You sound great, Lina! I'm LingOL. And if we want to get shallow, yes. I like all my heroes, bar none, to be big men, big in all ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home