CosmoChix

we give good romance

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Why I Dig Romance Novel Cover Guys

It took me six weeks, but I finally tracked down Nathan Kamp.


I didn’t stalk him or anything, I just worked every contact I had until I found someone to hook me up so I could woo him. Not in the biblical sense, although the thought of that verily begs for a workday fantasy.

Who’s Nathan Kamp? Only the hottest and most popular guy on a romance novel cover since That Italian Guy.


I went after Nathan cause I wanted to interview him for
Romance: B(u)y the Book,” my syndicated romance review column. I thought it’d be cool to talk with the man behind the image that’s graced more than 400 romance novel covers to date.


Not about how many push-ups he does -- though that imagery alone could inspire an Emma Holly novel -- but about who he is, why he does what he does, and what he believes in.

I hear your snickers, you cheeky wenches. But I’ll tell you anyway why I was so hepped when he said yes:

There are no persons involved with romance -- not readers, or authors, or industry folks -- who get less respect from the outside world than the guys who strip down, grease up, and work it for the covers of the books we adore.

So, I’m thinking, why not use my column to break down another stereotype about the romance genre – the dumb, “pretty-boy” cover model image.


Without giving away all the secrets of the interview, I’ll share this about Nathan Kamp: he is a genuine and exceedingly decent man.

Just like me, you get to define what romance really means. Cause you’re savvy, and smart, and you’ve got this fun and funky and powerful tool called the Internet to rock the message.

So, let’s define it for the naysayers:

Why do you read romance? What’s romance mean to you?

Michelle

I hope you’ll read my 2-part ExtraView interviews with Nathan, May 9th and May 16th!

6 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger Stacy~ said...

Michelle, we can always count on you to keep things above-board and classy. You search for the meaning in everything, from Mr. Darcy's swim in the pond to the emotional impact of a really bad bridemaids dress. Unlike some of us who are only able to concentrate on that sexy mouth of us (not mentioning any names here) you dig deeper and look for the soul. Thanx for going into the trenches and making the sacrifices to bring us "the real story".

Man, I cannot wait for that interview! And a 2-parter, no less! You rock!!!

P.S. - So far I've only found about 46 of those covers....looks like I got some work to do..

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Valeen said...

Why do I read romance and what does it mean to me?

I read for the escape, for the laughter and the sighs - not to mention the sex. ;-)

I read because the stories interest me, I learn from them, my expectations grow from them (much to the frustration of my hubby).

Romance is happiness and tears, laughter, buckets of tension and passion and always a happily ever after.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Monica Burns said...

Why I read romance? Because it's the fairytale. The remembering of what it was like to fall in love, that first exhilarating moment when you saw this guy you wanted to meet. That first smile that sent rocked your world. Real life isn't so great sometimes, and a great romance helps take the edge off and reminds me of the reasons why I fell in love with my own DH.

Monica

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger amy kennedy said...

I know what to expect from romance books--but not necessarily how it's going to get there. I love the love and as Valeen says--the buckets of tension and passion.

I am happy when I start one and happy when I finish one (maybe not happy that it's over) happy with the outcome.

Oh and talk about excited. Can't wait for the interview.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Oh WOW! A mystery solved!

And such a Delicioius mystery too.

I read romance to feel good and because I am addicted, LOL.

Plus, believe it or not, three years ago when I re-started reading romance after a 10 year drought, it helped my marraige.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it "saved" it, but it was darn close.
Bet you don't hear THAT too often.

Thanks for your perserverence in tracking the sigh-candy down..

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Michelle, Thanks so much for visiting my blog!
Your email was a delightful surprise too.
I am very happy to spread the word. Sharing the excitement is a 'favorite thing' *grin*

I also have a Myspace spot and I put it there too.

If I can think of anymore spots, I'll do it... I mean , spreading the word about Nathan is no hardship, nope, not at all.
LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home